Friday, May 17, 2024

Post # 198: Face Time

 

"Looking out to the Sea" - Composition Renee & Ned Kahn

I’ve relocated to my son Ned’s hilltop house in Sebastopol, California. Ironically, my mother came from Sebastopol in Czarist Russia, an idyllic seaside resort on the Black Sea. She remembered it as a Garden of Eden where you could reach out of your bedroom window and pull in a handful of grapes for breakfast. Until the pogroms came - and it turned into a circle of hell. Nothing lasts forever and I‘ve  learned to keep my psychological bags packed, just in case.


The idea of leaving my home of sixty years was almost inconceivable. I had a beautiful studio overlooking woods, with civilization (Dunkin’ Donuts and a liquor store) within walking distance. I’ve always had an open door policy and friends  were welcome to turn up whenever they liked. My late husband (a clinical psychologist) used to call it my “only child syndrome”.  But, here I am in Sebastopol, California, another Garden of Eden like my mother’s home town. Maybe that’s how it got its name; no one knows. Meanwhile, I’ve been kicked out of one Paradise and we’ll see how well this next one goes. Visitors welcome. It’s my last move and I just got a new library card.







11 comments:

  1. Hi Renee, I’m so happy to hear your living in California now. I’m going miss you and our visits in the studio. I’d love to visit when my work at glass house ends in Dec.
    take good care! ❤️ Michael callahan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See you in Jan.! You'll love it here and Ned has two sculpture shops going with all sorts of interesting work going on

      Delete
  2. Renee, I too moved and am very happy. Bob Robins

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see that you packed up all your talents and took them to Sebastopol with you! Love and happiness to you! Joyce Van Horn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Renee, So interesting to read about your mom’s place in Sebastopol, Russia!
    Thank you for sharing.
    I can’t wait to come to visit you.
    Hélène Devin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renee, very glad you've made a move to be closer to family. I know you'll be safe and happy in your new Paradise. Full circle w/Sebastopol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Renee
    Good to hear from you in person. But I heard all about your trip from Hilly, with pictures of your trip and you new home with the Studio. Delighted that the trip went so smoothy and trust that you will love your new home and Studio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Renee! I'm surprised you made the move as I know how much you loved your home and studio. Best wishes in your new home! I'll miss seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good afternoon, Renee,
    You made it to #200. YAY!!
    What a surprise to get your last two blogs from Kate today. You're amazing and have the best outlook on life of anyone that I know.
    Keep up that positivity and enjoy your CA paradise.
    Love you,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renee- I am grateful for all the wonderful times we had, and thankful for the fantastic contributions you made to Stamford. You deserve a Stamford Lifetime Achievement Award! May your creative life be renewed by your beautiful surroundings, I am certain your "boys" are delighted to have you near. Best, Brian

    ReplyDelete