Monday, August 8, 2022

Post #188: Matisse and Me

 

Oil, Charcoal and Collage 60” x38”

I just finished a book by Picasso’s most accomplished and literate mistress, Francoise Gilot. Of course, Picasso sued her after it was finished. She writes, knowingly, about the “friendship” between Picasso and Matisse. I use quotes because both of them were vying for the title of “greatest artist of our time” and truthfully, couldn’t stand one another. I’ve never been much of a fan of Matisse, although this book has persuaded me to upgrade my opinion. Picasso, whether you like his work or not. was undoubtedly the greatest artist of the twentieth century Despite Gilot’s treatment of the two artists as equals, it’s pretty obvious that while Matisse was the graceful matador, Picasso was the thundering bull.

It was interesting to me to note that both men died at 92, the age I am now approaching. They were still producing great work. Matisse and I have grown closer as we age, both having tired of easel painting and looking for more inventive forms, mainly cut-paper figures on a monumental scale. Matisse, bedridden, had a staff of assistants who were able to do the bulk of the physical labor for him. He would take sheets of paper his helpers painted in colors of his choice, using a giant pair of scissors to create cavorting figures, often floating in space, while I, without studio help, have turned to using the overhead project to create monumental forms that I photograph for “posterity.” I add color from my stock of colored cellophane (another story) rescued from the all-purpose dumpster outside my former studio at Yale & Towne. By moving the projector back and forth, my cut-outs – mostly 4”- 6”, create images   as exciting as those by Matisse. (if I have to say so myself.)

Mural design by Renee Kahn 1976
Lower Summer Street, Stamford CT
Photo by J. Edward Greene 1989

Those of you who have known me a long time remember my first foray into public art, a project in 1976 for Stamford’s Bi-Centennial celebration, a giant, two-sided mural on a derelict wall on Lower Summer Street. I put a slide projector on the roof of a car in the parking lot, got scaffolding erected, volunteer painters with cans of brown paint, and projected images of historic Stamford on the wall. It lasted almost twenty years much to everyone’s amazement. And it was certainly more interesting than the multiplex movie house that currently occupies the site.

7 comments:

  1. I am feeling more Chagal in you than Matisse. All exciting and thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to find you are still sharing your observations and memories. I have visited the Stamford diner, imagining you and others sharing your political observations, and remember many of the rvocative images you have created. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE A VAGUE MEMORY OF ALSO PROJECTING AN IMAGE ON NEW SUMMER ST. BLDG. WITH MY CAROUSEL PROJECTOR ON A BUILDING WHICH "WORKER BEES" PAINTED...I'M SURE RENEE WAS INVOLVEDED....DGP

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear anonymous. it was your projector i used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beyond Kahn...an immersive experience in Stamford. I should have realized - with your giant wall-sized murals and your projected images - you are the original!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you’re writing again!

    ReplyDelete