Saturday, May 25, 2019

POST #174: THE BEST OF TIMES; THE WORST OF TIMES

Dickens’ oft-quoted line about these being the best and worst of times seems pretty descriptive of what’s going on now. There’s obviously less poverty and actual suffering than ever before in human history; most plagues have been conquered and modern medical advances are allowing us to live longer, more comfortable lives. We can get free or almost free educations, medical care. We can marry for love or not marry, have a fridge full of food, own cars and possessions galore. Of course, there’s a way to go for many people but for someone like me who was born during the Great Depression, when many of my neighbors lived on a $25 weekly welfare check, I’ve got no complaints.  My parents couldn’t even begin to imagine my lifestyle, let alone that of their grandchildren.




Then why are so many of the people I know so unhappy? I don’t think I’ve ever lived in such a joyless time. Love relationships are more like hookups than caring connections. Is it because of our present government? We have a leader who reminds me of Mussolini: same pugnacious jaw, same arrogant posturing. (He made the trains run on time) Where are the artists who are usually in the front line against tyrants? Scared into silence by our President? He doesn’t worry about them; he knows they’re just make-believe radicals, paper tigers who present no real threat. The most interesting and well-attended art exhibit in New York this winter was of work created in the early 1900s by a previously unknown woman artist, Hilma af Klint, whose “inner voices” directed her to create the first abstract paintings in the history of art. It tells us something that hers is the most significant new work the current art scene has to offer. Tens of thousands lined up this winter to get into the Guggenheim Museum to see paintings she created for a circular temple that existed only in her mind. How prescient was that!




I’d like to think we are on the verge of another Age of Aquarius such as the one we had in the sixties, but so far there are no signs of it. Golden Ages generally emerge after periods of repression or social upheaval, but where are the artists who are capable of creating this bright new world? The art schools certainly aren’t turning them out. The current crop is taught to look for gimmicks, ways to get attention. One can’t afford to be a starving artist nowadays; ideals need the backing of a trust fund. There are no more cold-water flats in unsafe neighborhoods, only 4k to 6k a month luxury lofts. Paints cost a fortune and canvas is out of sight. No wonder there’s so much detritus art; at least the materials are inexpensive. When I get together with my artist friends, all we talk about is commercial success; who got into what gallery, sold something. Theory? Ideals? Bah, humbug!                

Renee Kahn

P. S. The illustrations for this post were painted in 2012, abstractions derived from photos I had taken of the Lower East Side before it got gentrified (and boring.) The panels are 68” tall and are grouped in two series of four.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Renee!
    This is Glenn Behrle (pronounced "Burly" hey - that's what they told me!) I play with John Lawrence at your "hut", as he calls it. I brought Janice, my first love, with me to practice when we were en route to a concert in Port Chester a few weeks ago. I'm the guy with the braided beard who plays mandolin and fiddle with this band. First, let me say that I love reading your blogs. I started out aiming for a MFA and my favorite professor took me aside and told me that I should NEVER take a job outside of the Art field as he thought I was the only one of his students who could actually MAKE it in the field. About a week later I was offered a job with Columbia Records working in their R&D facility. We invented CD's and they were sending me off to get a Masters in Electro Mechanical Engineering, paid for by CBS, so naturally I quit and went on tour with a rather milquetoast bluegrass band... Such is life!
    Anyway, reading your blogs, I think we should be friends.
    The reason I am writing to a blog, first time for me, is to tell you that John mentioned that you would like to paint Janice and I. I want you to know that we would be honored for that to happen. We have both seen what is online of your work, and we are EXCITED!
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete