Friday, April 14, 2017

POST # 139: TOO STRONG FOR SATIRE

I’ve written before about my former life as a suburban satirist. Why “former”? Surely there are plenty of things to poke fun at today.  And isn’t satire one of the best ways to fight tyranny and injustice? Well, yes and no. Villains usually don’t mind if you hate them; they thrive on being hated. But what they really can’t tolerate is being made fun of. I’m sure our present leader puts the Saturday Night Live cast at the top of his list for the Gulag if he gets enough power.

However, when evil goes too far, becomes the norm, there’s no way you can see humor in it. Goya was a marvelous satirist of court life in Spain but after the horrors of the French occupation, satire became irrelevant and his art turned into rage. The Weimar period in Germany prior to the rise of Hitler was a Golden Age of satire: overweight Bourgeoisie, corrupt businessmen, hypocritical clergy and worn-out whores, all the excesses of a failing Capitalist system made for some of the best satire ever seen in the history of art. But when Hitler came to power, suddenly, none of it was funny any more. The artists who could flee, fled, and those who remained carefully stayed away from anything controversial.

 American art has never been big on satire. After all you can’t expect the kind of people who buy art to pay money to be laughed at. About the only time there were some reasonably good satirists in this country was during the 1930s, the Great Depression. Since no one was buying artwork anyhow, artists were freer to speak their mind. Publicly subsidized art like WPA murals, tended to concentrate on the positive aspects of American life, but there were also quite a few unaffiliated artists who “made a living” (and not much more) - Jack Levine or Ben Shahn - out of ‘social satire.’ What little political humor there was quickly vanished when Senator Joseph McCarthy and his Committee on Un-American Activities showed up in the 1950s. Abstraction Expressionism soon took over in the art world. There was no social criticism in drips and dabs.

When I started to paint again in the 1970s, after my children went off to school, I poked gentle fun at what I though were the foibles of suburbia. I have an attic full of paintings of clubwomen, American Legionaires and DAR ladies pouring tea. They seem dated given what is going on today. However, the “portraits” I did of local real estate developers and their cronies still seem pretty relevant, especially when you consider our present Head of State. As director of a local preservation organization, I found myself constantly outgunned by the bastards who were easily able to buy off everyone - politicians, government officials - who stood in their way.

Over the years, I’ve done a number of series that would be funny if they weren’t intrinsically tragic. My favorite is one I’ve never dared exhibit (too “x” rated.) It is based on the gross ugliness underneath the expensively coiffed and outfitted Trumps of this world – he’s far from unique. I call it my “Men’s Bathhouse Series,” paper cutouts of local developers and their cronies, men who wear expensive suits but you wouldn’t want to see what lies underneath. Our current President is a perfect example. Unfortunately, the sponsors of this blog censor nakedness of any sort (even when it’s meant to be funny, not prurient) and I don’t know of a single gallery that would be willing to run the risk of showing them, dressed or undressed. So, here are some “safe” examples from my “Bathhouse Series,” men of power fully clothed or in their skivvies. For a peek at what lies beneath their high-priced outer garments, you will have to use your imagination (or come to my studio.)


 P.S. I can’t bring myself to be a satirist any more. There’s nothing remotely funny about what’s going on.

4 comments:

  1. IT is important to have people as talented as you are to make us laugh. The series that you are sharing here is definitely a book I would love to own. I don't understand why Renee books do not exist. We all need them. Florence S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think they are a perfect combination of tragic and funny. The kind of humor you can get away with in great art, where it doesn't have to be viewed as funny. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I believe I've seen that Warhol, Lichtenstein, de Kooning, etc. You should do a book. I'm about to self-publish and it's amazing how technology has changed things. Believe you can do it on your own. Otherwise, I have a friend with a small publishing house (mostly poetry) that does beautiful work. Believe she would help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several people have suggested making a book out of the blog, maybe just printed 'on demand.' That way I won't have boxes of unsold books in my garage. Maybe one of my children will be inspired to do it (like you) after I'm gone. I'm happy doing new work - too busy to look back.
    BTW Tell me when the book is available. A friend who knew your father wants to buy a copy. If there are enough people left in Stamford who knew him (and can still get around), I'll have a little publishing party.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve been trying to convince Renée that she should have a book of her marvellous art virtually placed in galleries around the world. Her bathhouse series would look right at home in a number of prominent museums in the world.

    Bob C

    ReplyDelete